Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What a Photographic Eye


Photobucket



With enough thought, one can guess there is much more going into the bands and music we listen to. One aspect of that is pictures. I sat down with photographer Emily Ibarra of EDIphotoeye. Emily has worked closely with some very established musical acts, chiefly among those, Portugal the Man, Saves the Day, and RX Bandits. Here is the charming explanation of her work:

What Was your first experience with photography?

I think about it a couple different ways. I was the oldest grandchild. My grandfather was really into photography. He followed me around with a camera. When I was five he passed away and I ended up getting his camera.
As well, In Junior High, when we were bored, we would dress up and take photos of our friends. Some kids watched movies and played games, but we did photo shoots. I didn't take it seriously, I just enjoyed doing it.

When did you know you wanted to do Photography?

Its so hard to say, cause I kind of always knew. You just get this feeling like you are getting better and better. Even when you're sucking you know.

Then How old were you when you started really getting serious?

It wasn't till I was 21, that I started taking it seriously, but I knew I wanted to do photography when I was 18.

Can you remember your first band shoot?

My first shoot was with Brea, but only because they were my friends. I Took photos of them before the band, and I was just basically applying what I was learning to my friends, and they happened to be in a band.

Did you go in with the intention of shooting bands?

I just happened to be surrounded by musicians, and they had an outlet for my photos through myspace, which was just getting big.
I just happened to always love music, and was always surrounded by musicians.

How did your first bigger shoots compare to what you are doing now on a daily basis?

The only thing that changed is...Its really not that different. Its really funny, cause for example, right after that Brea photo shoot, this band called Ashes Ashes called me for photos. I didn't even know who they were, I just started shooting bands. the bands I shot for AP magazine really just wanted to be in a magazine, so I was the road to that. Its nicer to get bigger referals though, from managers or promoters, but really all these bands I shoot became my friends, so I'm in essence shooting my friends. And, Whats different now, is that now my photos are being put into media, such as videos, fliers, posters, and album covers. Instead of putting them on myspace, which is awesome, they are getting use. And blogs.



Photobucket



Do you feel like you go through phases and styles with your photography?

I definitely go through phases, of liking a certain style, or filter or tone. It changes. I go through it from time to time. I'm also not as excited about things I've done in the past, since I've done it before. I try to stay away from that formula since its so easy to fall into that.

You've said that photography is really competitive. Do you still run into that now?

Photography is competive to the point of being scary. LIke a scared kid who dosn't look under his bed, I just try not to notice. I limit myself on how much I see of other photographers, because I start to phsych myself out. You start to say "Oh man, why didn't I do that! why didn't I think of that?" When you do it enough, its a scary mindset to be in, but I'm so happy with the way things are going, that I don't really notice as much. Everyone has their different Niche, and people will want certain photographers for specifics things. I don't take it personal either. The benefit of shooting your friends is they make you feel good about it*laughs*

A lot of photographers are very much into using Photoshop to get rid of any blemish or mistake, and they come out with this extremely photoshopped, almost fake looking photo. How do you feel about that, and do you deal with this at all?

It is a certain style, and sometimes I find myself doing it, not because its best for the photo, but because its what the client wants. You do have to pay attention to your employer and what they want, since they pay you. We're so exposed to perfect looking celebrities in magazines, so in a way, I don't think its fair to send a photo out there thats raw. I don't want anyone to look different, or fake, but I don't want them to look bad . If it looks like it shouldn't be there, I take it out.



Photobucket



Cliche Question: What was your craziest shoot?

I shot a guy in just a sumbrero on Cinco Demayo.

You spend a lot of time with pretty successful bands, on tour, and backstage. How does that make you feel about the music industry now?

I think that it actually makes me appreciate certain people more. I shot a band recently, and I was astounded to learn that they knew each other since 7th grade, and they are in their late 20s. They were so kind to each other, and so patient. I've seen bands that spend years together, and its like having a sister or brother. But sometimes you meet people that get along so well. Its inspiring to me. It doesn't make it worse, it just makes it very beautiful. Its so hard to live with someone day in and day out. You affect the lives of 5, 6, who knows how many people. Its really just made me appreciate it.

You also did a lot of work with the WFPF (World Freerunning and Parkour Federation), and did all the photos for the MTV show they were filming. Tell us about the experience you had with them?

I've met some amazing people, and got to go some very cool places. They're amazing athelets, and it makes for interesting photos. Its more challenging, but also so new and refreshing. I was going out with them individually lately, for action and personality portraits, that I would then send to MTV, so that MTV knew what was up. Then I spent a week with 8 of them shooting a pilot in LA. Kind of how you can't take an instrument out of a musicians hand, its kind of the same thing, except they are flipping and climbing, and balancing where ever they go. They are like little kids. Its very beautiful. they see the world as their playground, which is, again so refreshing.

What do you have coming up that people should keep an eye out for?
I'm still shooting bands pretty consistently, how ever I have two projects. One is working with The WFPF (World Freerunning and Parkour Federation) . A calendar is coming out for that. I'm doing an exhibit right now too, with top athletes. I've been shooting Acro-yogis as well, which will have its exhibit too.

Check out Emily Ibarra's work at : www.ediphotoeye.tumblr.com and www.ediphotoeye.com

No comments: